As I mentioned in the comments on another post: Thanks for the concern guys, and sorry for not posting.
I was sick for a few days, out of town for a few days, and just plain busy. But I'm good now.
On to the post.
The death of Osama bin Laden and the military operation that caused it don't interest me as much as the reaction to bin Laden's death does. I saw it on CBC News and you've probably seen it elsewhere: the story has been accompanied of video footage of people celebrating the success of the military operation that took his life. I've got mixed feelings on the whole thing. I'm not about to shed any tears over his loss. But to be perfectly honest, watching the footage of smiling Americans cheering about a man's death made me more than a little uncomfortable.
I can't imagine feeling happy about the death of any man, even in a case like this where the world seems a lot safer without him. Relief, maybe, but celebratory happiness? Hank mentioned in his vlog yesterday that he shared a high five with his wife at the news. He also said, "The fact that I know that I should not be happy at the death of another human being, that doesn't change the fact that I am.". You can't help how you feel, obviously. I accept that. I don't see anything wrong about the actions of people like Hank who carry out a little private acknowledgement of their feelings on the matter. Be relieved. Be happy, if you absolutely have to be.
But don't run out into the streets to cheer and wave flags crosses a line, I think. Maybe it's just me. Or maybe it's because I'm not American and therefore 9/11 and the years since the attacks weren't the same experience for me, tucked away in my little unknown corner of Canada. But the celebratory airs seem incredibly distasteful. Yes, bin Laden is dead and is no longer a threat to the safety of American citizens. But as I understand it, his death isn't going to end the trouble that's been brewing since 2001. And though a number of the celebrators I watched mentioned "revenge" for the part bin Laden' played in killing nearly three thousand people in the 9/11 attacks, his death doesn't change anything for them. The victims remain entirely unaffected by the events of the past few days.
This back-and-forth bloodshed is not a game, and I think to treat it as such would be incredibly disrespectful to the memories of those we've lost.
And I guess I'm just not sure why people are cheering when we really didn't win anything.
PS: I was already planning to write about this (theme permitting,) when Hank vlogged about it yesterday, so it was interesting to hear his opinions on the matter.
ReplyDeleteI'm kinda hoping John mentions it in his video tomorrow, too.