This past week, I went to Albuquerque, New Mexico with my family for Spring Break. Albuquerque might seem like an odd destination for some people - it's certainly not Miami or Cancun - but it's perfectly sensible for my family.
See, when I was younger, much like Sofia, we moved around quite a lot due to my dad being in the Air Force and his medical career, and I never really thought anything of it. The flowchart of my moving looks something like this:
Born in Portland OR (1992-1994ish) --> moved to Albuquerque NM (1994-1997) --> Lacey WA (1997-2000) --> Cabot AR (2000-2003) --> Peyton CO (2004-2010) --> college in Portland OR (2010-current)
Going to Albuquerque, therefore, was kind of like revisiting my past. Which normally would be a not-so good thing, but this time was something wonderful.
I don't remember much from when I lived in New Mexico, mainly because I was only five when we moved from there. What I do remember, though, consists of good memories, like my birthday parties with my friends, learning how to ride my bike, and Easter Egg hunts with my sister in UNM's Family Housing complex. I remember having a friend named Punky (although my recollections of any adventures we might have had are impossibly vague), and I know that my Kindergarten teacher's name was Martha Stewart (no joke).
But visiting Albuquerque made me think about all the other places I lived and all the other friends I had. It seems weird to me that these friends I had when I was seven and eight and nine are all grown up and in college, living lives that were different from when we were friends.
I know that some people feel sad when they talk about friends and places they once knew - there's a sad sense of nostalgia in remembering things from our past. But I feel happy in knowing that I made so many wonderful friends and, although I don't keep in contact with all of them, it was amazing to be friends with them while I was.
It also makes me happy for the friends I still have, namely those who I befriended during high school. I met my best friend Mariah during our Freshman year, and although I transfered schools after that first year, we still keep in touch and she's the best friend I could ask for. I think it's amazing, that even though there is 1300 miles between us and even though we don't contact each other as often as we perhaps should, we still can meet during breaks and pick up where it left off. She's perhaps the only person I feel 100% confident confiding everything in, because I know she won't judge. I'm also thankful for my other friends, like all of the guys in AP Government and Physics that made those classes bearable (including my epic group, C.A.T.S., with which we TOTALLY ROCKED the mock election). I am so grateful for my awesome, amazing friends. And while I am not one known for amazing social skills and the ability to make friends easily, I have made great friends over the years.
Albuquerque gave me the opportunity to do three great things: one, to reminiscence about the great experiences I had not only in New Mexico, but also in the other places I lived; two, to enjoy quality time with my amazing family; and three, to say the name Albuquerque, which, you have to admit, is pretty fun.
Until next time, best wishes!
Taylor
P.S. I'm starting Script Frenzy this week - is anyone else? I'm working on a spec script (speculative screenplay) for Doctor Who, because I'm not enough of a nerd already! Doctor Who + 1776 America = GREAT POTENTIAL (hopefully!)
No comments:
Post a Comment