Hello friends, this blog comes to you in 5 parts.
1. PUNISHMENTS: Clearly this kind of format is difficult for assigning punishments. So I'm doing it. You do, however, have choices. For each day that you missed your post, you can: create a vlog OR tell 3 new people that you write a collab blog OR spend 12 hours without partaking in any technological experience (reflect) OR write a short story on procrastination!!!
2. THEMES: With all the absenteeism as of late (cough cough), we've gotten off the theme routine. I'm going to suggest that Sofia starts us on a new theme tomorrow, then we continue the same plan as before. If, however, we get off again, I think everyone should feel the authority to just pick a theme whenever they want.
3. ADVICE: Although I do sometimes feel like the old one around here (weird because I am always the young one in my social circles), this advice is coming to you more because I've blogged a lot. Since I was about 14, I've blogged pretty regularly. They started out very newsy and basically a list of complaints, but I like to think I've gotten better at it. Usually I only have close friends who read my blogs, but with still life, I have you guys too. Four awesome nerdy people from all over the world who have diverse experiences and unique observations, will be reading what I write. I don't think of it so much as needing to find something really profound as I just want to share something you guys will think is interesting. Throughout the week something will happen and I'll think, huh, maybe the still life kids will find this interesting. Really.
I don't know why we're missing posts all over the place. I know that life is busy, but I'm going to pull the older wiser card and say that life is always busy. That excuse never goes away. And I'm only calling you guys on it because I want to hear your point of view. What weird thing happened to you this week? What undying question about life, friendship, or relationships do you have? I've really enjoyed getting to know you all on here, so let's keep it up!!!
4. CHALLENGE: I have not forgotten about Brad's challenge to eliminate unnecessary things in our lives. I move to a brand new city on Sunday. There is a good chance that I will get stuck with a pretty small room with very little storage. This means I am editing my possessions. Drastically. I plan to take pictures before I make my charity drop off. The most difficult part so far has been the books. I have over 180 books. I've gone through them and picked about 50 that I can part with, but my roommate brought up a good point. She rarely rereads her books but thinks of them more as a trophy for reading. I have to admit that I have and do reread most of my books, but I totally get the trophy mentality.
So many of our things are like that. Look at how cool my life is, they scream. I don't like feeling so tied to things. It's unsettling. With all the tornadoes around me in the past month, it's a good reminder of how temporary things are. Remembering that has been really helpful as I add another object to the throwaway/giveaway pile. It's still hard though.
5. MY POST: I am graduating from college on Saturday. I have a full time job this summer then I am beginning my teaching career in the fall. I will be teaching 6th grade math, pre-algebra, and advisory. I drove up yesterday to meet with my 2 new roommates and look at a couple different possible places for us to live. As soon as I get done with this post I will fax in my application and call to pay the fee. As I am leaving school, moving further away from my parents, creating a year-long budget, and talking with friends about healthcare plans, I've been struck with the idea of adulthood.
Through childhood and the teenage years, there are milestones. Old enough to leave the car seat, old enough to stay home alone, old enough to drive, old enough to vote, to smoke, to drink. With each one you can tangibly feel yourself growing up. I've always kind of assumed that reaching adulthood would feel the same way. It doesn't. There are no manuals to read, permits to obtain, and final tests to pass. And more than anything, I'm realizing that adulthood is not a milestone. I've been out of my parents house for 4 years. I shop, cook, and clean for myself. I am the one responsible for attending school and only I am responsible for the consequences of whatever actions I take. There is no call home anymore. But there hasn't been a milestone.
Living in the dorms on campus was certainly not full-on adulthood. Having my parents help me out with car insurance and rent is definitely not full-on adulthood. But the thing is, I'm not sure you ever feel like a fully capable adult. I know I am able to drive because I've passed all the tests, and in almost 6 years, I've never gotten a ticket. Life, however, makes you guess. Growing up you find all the bureaucratic hoops to freedom annoying. After you're grown, you kind of miss the stability of it all. There are no semester finals and grade reports to count down to. There's just life, everyday.
Unless, you know, you're going to be a teacher!
Keep up the posting and have a happy thursday!
Elise
No comments:
Post a Comment