Today, I'm making a plea in the defense of language.
Please, please, stop cursing.
Now, I think to ask that everyone stops cursing all of the time is nothing short of wishful thinking. Curse words have taken such a strong hold on today's use of language that it would be incredibly ridiculous to assume that this could even possibly occur. I may be an optimist, but even that seems absolutely preposterous.
Repeated cursing, in my mind, shows an inability to express oneself in words that are much more... eloquent. I guess, not necessarily, eloquent is too strong of a word. Instead, intelligent orproper come to mind.
I'm not saying that cursing makes people unintelligent. Rather, I'm saying that cursing makes people sound unintelligent. Believe it or not, there is a difference. I know several people that are incredibly intelligent but still will use curse words to describe what they're feeling. What goes through my head at that point is: "well, couldn't you find a better word to use in order to express yourself?"
Now, asking this question directly to someone that is cursing would be nothing short of stupid. In most cases, it seems that people don't like to be presented with things they do that may be construed as wrong or inappropriate. But it is something I wonder. To me, cursing shows that, frankly, someone can't express themselves in any other way, which means that they haven't properly understood howawesome language could be.
Examples of inappropriate places to curse? A classroom, in front of children, in formal situations.
But why does the list have to be limited to that? Why can't people refrain from cursing on a regular basis? Why can't people rise above the crippling monster that is cursing and discover that there do indeed exist words that are notoffensive and still achieve the same goal of expressing emotion.
I'm not saying never curse (although, if you can, I deeply commend you!)- sometimes there arrive situations (like stubbing your toe on brick) when a curse word might surface. But please, in the defense of language, find some better words to express yourself with. I'm sure the English (and other) languages would thank you for it.
So, what are your pet peeves?
Until next week= best wishes!
Taylor
No comments:
Post a Comment